Friday, June 10, 2011

An Introduction

Hello friends and family, coworkers, professors, neighbors, classmates and maybe even random internet surfers - my name is Lauren Beaven, if you didn't know that already.

I'm 20 years old and this summer I'm leaving for what's bound to be one of the most fun, hectic, insane, life-changing, eye-opening internships that's ever existed. I'll be working with children of military families who live on a base called Camp McTureous in Okinawa, Japan.

I will be a Camp Adventure summer day camp counselor.

You may have listened to me gush about the program all of Spring semester at California State University, Chico. But if by some fortunate chance you didn't, well, you're in luck, because you'll get to hear about it now for the very first time!

Chico's forty-something Camp Adventure trainees for the program this summer went through A LOT together. We swam - or rather, froze - through hail storms getting our lifeguard certifications, made giant cardboard shoes (shout-out to Yellow Group!), brought the life of the party to a Camp A conference in Sacramento, learned more songs, crafts and high/low active games than we ever thought humanly possible and, most importantly, came out of training as what I'm sure are some of the best camp counselors I will ever see.

I don't think I've ever met such an awesome group of people. There aren't many college students who can pull off the Camp A uniform like we do.

Now we're headed off to, or already at, our summer destinations. I know one of my friends is already in Hawaii and loving it. I leave for Japan tomorrow.

I'm excited and nervous and in utter disbelief all at the same time. I barely begun packing (it's so much more fun to blog) and my room is a MESS! Luckily I'll only have two bags of belongings in my military dorm room, so there won't be too much opportunity for disorganization.

Well, I'll be keeping you updated, so look for new posts! Comment and ask questions. Tell me what you want to hear about my travels and my work - I write for you.

夏を楽しむ!

2 comments:

  1. Baby Girl we are so proud of you! I just read your introduction aloud to Grand Trint, Aunt Mary, Mom, and Little D. We are so excited to share your Camp Adventure experience with you. We are headed out to Dukes in Malibu for some brunch. Wish you were here but glad your there (or almost there) WE LOVE YOU!! Diddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi from GG
    Here I am again trying to blog. Know you are busy but want you to know we all miss you and are keeping track of you on facebook. I myself have not been on the computer. Uncle cliff was here for a few days aND I was a little busy. Jackie and Kurt are in Juno and the weather is perfect. Dani took your Dad to the airport and he's in Toronto. Dani has her new mac and your cat chewed up her new ear phones:( The Reynolds had a great week at the lake. Are you still bloging? Miss you so much. How's the camp experience going? Love ya, Geeg

    ReplyDelete